01 November 2008

It was a dark and stormy night




It was a dark and stormy night in California (no, but seriously, it was) also known as Halloween. My favorite coffee boy (that’s what I call him, for obvious reasons, we met when he used to work in a café and I got coffee from him every day until he asked me out to coffee..) anyway, he’s from Algeria, so I don’t think he knew exactly what I meant when I told him that on Halloween this year we were going to carve pumpkins. Then he saw my ‘example’ glowing on the porch when he arrived chez moi last night, looked at me, and said, no, I don’t think I’m gonna do that. And in the end, he did cut his own pumpkin, shaking his head, something about how this was for kids, and when he put his child-safe carving knife down, it was a good pumpkin, complete with a tongue sticking out (nope..this was definitely not child’s play) we put a candle in, his face glowed, with pride an impromptu photo shoot ensued. You would never have know it was his first time ;) until those kids kept ringing the doorbell and asking for tricks and treats...

No comments: